Online Classes (MOOCS)
There are actually surprisingly few online German language classes that are completely free. MOOCs – also known as “Massively Open Online Courses”, are actual classes, often from actual universities and learning institutions. Most lessons are self-paced and do not follow calendar dates.
A1, A2, B1 | Deutsch Interaktiv Deutsche Welle
Deutsche Welle (Germany’s International Public Broadcasting Company), provides an online course specifically intended for anyone wishing to learn German at any level. While a little tricky to actually find the link into it*, this MOOC is definitely well worth visiting. Deutsche Welle also provides additional sets of themed courses broken down by level of proficiency as well.
*To get to the link for the course, find the image with “Click here for the course!”. Upon entering the site, first change the language in the drop-down box to English, and then select guest access.
Beginners’ German: Food and drink The Open University
This course that is an adapted extract from the Open University course L193 Rundblick: beginners’ German. It provides surprisingly thorough audio and written practice for being just food-themed.
Resources For German Students & Teachers The University of Michigan
While this is not actually a MOOC, it provides a wealth of information – as if it were one – complete with actual university-level lecture videos, assignments, study sheets, and quiz material. The grammar videos are perhaps the most helpful.
11 Awesome German Podcasts to Accelerate Your Language Learning FluentU
If you are on the go, many of these podcasts are a great way to fill one’s ears with German while doing something else.
Deutsch Im Blick UT Austin
This course is fairly thorough, complete with an accompanying textbook for download and audio files to listen to. Ten chapters of study are provided. Ten chapters of study are provided.
Germany’s International Public Broadcasting company, Deutsche Welle, provides many courses to help one prepare for German language exams up to the C1 Level. All are free and cover many different topics, such as music, news, and business. Below are links to the different courses, sorted by level of proficiency:
A1 LEVEL COURSES:
A2 LEVEL COURSES:
- Radio D – Part 2 (Audio Drama)
- Deutsch – warum nicht? (Audio Story)
- Deutsch Interaktiv (Online Course)
B1 LEVEL COURSES:
- Das Bandtagebuch mit EINSHOCH6 (Learn German with Music)
- Top-Thema (German Reports)
- Jojo sucht das Gluck (Web Soap)
- Harry – gefangen in der Zeit (Audio Story)
B2 LEVEL COURSES:
- Ticket nach Berlin – die Abenteuerspielshow! (Adventure Game Show)
- Marktplatz (Business German)
- Stadtbilder – Deutschland von Stadt zu Stadt (Additional Information)
- Wort der Woche (Interesting Words)
- Community D – das Portrat (German Reports)
C1 LEVEL COURSES:
- Video-Thema (German Reports)
- Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten (Daily News)
- Alltagsdeutsch (Everyday Life Videos)
- Sprachbar (Additional Information)
- Dialektatlas (German Dialects)